Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Rock For All Times


I'm not sure when I learned to swim underwater, but I didn't learn to swim on the surface until I was seven at the Buffalo Recreation Center (go figure). It might have to do with the fact that swimming under water was more fascinating. I see everything above the water's surface all of the time, but it's what's below the surface that I only would get a few minutes at a time.

Maybe I was a fish in a former life. Well if you know me, I'm really a fish in this life. I'm a Pisces; I'm two fish swimming in opposite directions. Not easy to do!

My parents have several memories of me swimming that I don't have, which is not because I didn't do them, but because I was too young to really claim them as my own. They remember the fist time I sat on Stephie's rock. It was the place I could sit in the water and watch our world go by.

Then there is the memory of me running down to the lake with nothing but my own gift from God, my clothes were rumpled and cast aside in my sand box, and I ran right to my sitting rock (I called it the sitting rock and my parents called it Stephie's rock). From that point on I was know as Streaker.

Don't worry; those were my young care free days. Now I like to keep my clothes on as a sense of duty to the occasional passerby.

The "sitting rock" is still there in front of my parent’s house. It stands as a true cornerstone to my early days. Sitting there on the rock with half of myself in the water and the other half above, I was the yin and yang of two fish in opposite directions, a solid but mutable girl. I could change and move like water, be shaped like water over my rock that smoothes out the rough edges, yet I could be as fixed as ice and as stationary as the rock I stood on when it comes to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment