Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Silent, Silent Snow

Dead calm and quiet takes the breath. The chill tingles when I swallow the humid ice filled air at first. I warm it with my 98.6 degree temperature. I skate and cut the cold with my warm pink coat and long peach scarf that hangs to my knees.

I spend hours dancing on the ice with my skates, and all by myself. I know my mom is watching me from the kitchen window with a cigarette held up to her mouth. Her elbow is supported by her hand. I am sure she watches me with trepidation. She can't help but remember the time the ice broke away behind her as she and my uncle sped across the lake on a snowmobile.

I dance without my mom's fears. I dance like a rag doll with invisible strings attached that pull me across the midnight blue ice. I dance with a song in my head, or maybe I sing out and the air takes my song through headphones and only the silence hears.

The silent world holds the secrets. The silent world keeps them.

No comments:

Post a Comment